The German Grand Prix is clearly a big event for manufacturers such as Mercedes-Benz. It’s their home race and the history of the NÃ¼rburgring allows a great chance to maximise the marketing potential the F1 travelling circus brings.
A perfect opportunity, then, to bring out some old Silver Arrows for a run around the Nordschleife. Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg did just that getting behind the wheel of a pair of classic 1950s Mercedes-Benz W196 racecars.
Rosberg found himself driving the open wheel W196 which Juan Manuel Fangio drove to victory in the 1954 German Grand Prix held at the NÃ¼rburgring. Schumacher got one-on-one time with the streamliner ‘Monza’ W196, noted for its less nimble handling compared to the open wheeler.
The W196s were powered by a normally aspirated 2.5-litre straight 8 cylinder engine, producing a shade over 190kW (250hp) when they debuted. Subsequent development saw peak numbers as high as 230kW (310hp). They dominated the 1954 and 1955 seasons and delivered Fangio two of his five world championships.
After the break you can see a short video and more photos which can all be accessed at 2000px super image sizing.