A Top 40 shoot out took place for the first time at the Nürburgring 24 hour race this year. A total of 17 teams pre-qualified for the Top 40 based on previous practice results achieved at the three VLN races already held this year. The remaining 23 places were determined by the times set in the open qualifying sessions on Thursday and Friday at the 24 hour race.
Remember, the 24 hour race combines the Nürburgring Grand Prix track with the Nordschleife; the total length of the combined course is 25.9km. Going into the Top 40 the fastest car was the #15 Black Falcon Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 with a lap of 8:27.362.
A public raffle was used to determine the running order for the Top 40 shoot out. The cars set out at 10 second intervals and were given two flying laps to set their time in a session which ran for a total of 40 minutes.
Shawn Edwards in the #15 Black Falcon Mercedes improved his car’s time by an impressive 7.3 seconds (8:20.050), but that was still only enough to qualify in third place. Uwe Alzen in the #19 BMW Team Schubert Z4 GT3 was quickest (8:18.382) ahead of Chris Mamerow in the #26 Mamerow Racing Audi R8 LMS ultra (8:19.700).
A table showing all Top 40 times can be read after the break. Two cars failed to set a time, the Gemballa Racing McLaren MP4-12C missed out due to an engine and gearbox swap, while the Falken Motorsports Porsche 911 GT3 R suffered minor accident damage. Both cars are expected to be fine for the race and will start form P39 and P40 respectively.
The #1 “Ferrari” P4/5 Competizione pictured above qualified in P30 (8:32.586) and is claiming to be the fastest ever Ferrari at the Ring.
|1||19||BMW Team Schubert||Uwe Alzen||BMW Z4 GT3||8:18.382|
|2||26||Mamerow Racing||Chris Mamerow||Audi R8 LMS ultra||8:19.700|
|3||15||Black Falcon||Shawn Edwards||Mercedes-Benz AMG||8:20.050|
|4||65||Hankook Team Heico||Lance David Arnold||Mercedes-Benz AMG||8:20.731|
|5||20||BMW Team Schubert||Dirk Adorf||BMW Z4 GT3||8:20.906|
|6||11||Wochenspiegel Manthey||Marc Lieb||Porsche 911 GT3||8:21.387|
|7||66||Hankook Team Heico||Pierre Kaffer||Mercedes-Benz AMG||8:21.604|
|8||2||Phoenix Racing||Frank Stippler||Audi R8 LMS ultra||8:21.819|
|9||17||BMW Team Vita4One||Pedro Lamy||BMW Z4 GT3||8:22.230|
|10||22||ROWE Racing||Thomas Jäger||Mercedes-Benz AMG||8:22.252|
|11||4||Speedhunters WRT||Edward Sandström||Audi R8 LMS ultra||8:22.404|
|12||3||Phoenix Racing||Marc Basseng||Audi R8 LMS ultra||8:22.426|
|13||9||Raeder Motorsport||Thomas Mutsch||Audi R8 LMS ultra||8:23.053|
|14||29||Marc VDS||Maxime Martin||BMW Z4 GT3||8:23.111|
|15||18||BMW Team Vita4One||Jens Klingmann||BMW Z4 GT3||8:23.179|
|16||7||Young Driver AMR||Darren Turner||Aston Martin Vantage||8:23.815|
|17||6||Young Driver AMR||Tomas Enge||Aston Martin Vantage||8:24.824|
|18||90||HARIBO Racing Team||Tommy Milner||Corvette Z06 R GT3||8:24.901|
|19||12||Wochenspiegel Manthey||Jochen Krumbach||Porsche 911 MR||8:26.901|
|20||21||ROWE Racing||Roland Rehfeld||Mercedes-Benz AMG||8:26.908|
|21||10||Manthey Racing||Marco Holzer||Porsche 911 GT3 R||8:27.705|
|22||28||Frikadelli||Christopher Brück||Porsche 911 GT3 R||8:28.616|
|23||27||Timbulli Racing||Norbert Siedler||Porsche 911 GT3 R||8:28.945|
|24||8||HARIBO Racing Team||Christian Menzel||Porsche 911 GT3 R||8:29.185|
|25||25||Audi race experience||Marco Werner||Audi R8 LMS ultra||8:29.546|
|26||777||H&R Spezialfedern||Christian Engelhart||Ford GT3||8:30.427|
|27||69||Dörr Motorsport||Rudi Adams||McLaren MP4-12C||8:31.567|
|28||24||Audi race experience||Florian Gruber||Audi R8 LMS ultra||8:31.798|
|29||59||Dörr Motorsport||Peter Kox||McLaren MP4-12C||8:32.089|
|30||1||Global Partner Enterprise||Fabrizio Giovanardi||P4/5||8:32.586|
|31||16||Black Falcon||Hannes Plesse||Mercedes-Benz AMG||8:34.769|
|32||83||Gazoo Racing||Akira Ida||Lexus LFA||8:36.190|
|33||47||Timbulli Racing||Marco Seefried||Porsche 997 GT3||8:36.933|
|34||150||Kremer Racing||Wolfgang Kaufmann||Porsche 911 KR||8:42.377|
|35||39||Dörr Motorsport||Rudi Adams||Porsche 911 Cup||8:42.508|
|36||54||David Horn||Chris Zöchling||Porsche 997 GT3 Cup||8:43.999|
|37||50||Raceunion Teichmann||Andreas Gülden||Porsche 977 GT3 Cup||8:45.394|
|38||111||Raeder Motorsport||Stefan Landmann||Audi TT RS||8:46.885|
|39||30||Gemballa Racing||McLaren MP4-12C||–|
|40||44||Falken Motorsports||Porsche 911 GT3 R||–|
40. ADAC Zurich 24h-Rennen, 17 to 20 May 2012:
The Top-40-Qualifying at a glance
- VLN practice results: The 10 fastest of the practice sessions for each of three VLN rounds held prior to ADAC Zurich 24h race are qualified straight away.
- A prior entry is necessary and has to relate to the combination of team, vehicle and category.
- 24h race qualifying results: The top-40 positions not yet secured will be awarded according to 24h race qualifying results.
- Vehicles already qualified for the Top-40-Qualifying mustn’t contest the first 20 minutes of the qualifying sessions.
Course of the action
- The order the teams are going out in for the Top Qualifying will be determined in a public raffle on Friday afternoon.
- All the 40 cars will be positioned on the home straight.
- The cars will start into their top-qualifying laps in a 10-second rhythm.
- Following a warm-up lap on the Nordschleife, the top-40 competitors will make a flying start into their two qualifying laps.
- The times achieved will determine the top-40 grid positions for the 24h race.
- Cars that had to retire will be awarded grid positions at the end of the top 40, with the individual positions being determined in another raffle.
- At the start of the race, the teams involved have to use at least three slicks also used in the Top-40-Qualifying. Due to this regulation, the use of pure qualifying tyres is prevented.